RE: [OM] Re: Battery testing [was "OMPC/OM-2S Auto Shutter Problem"]

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: Battery testing [was "OMPC/OM-2S Auto Shutter Problem"]
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 23:00:46 -0400
Joel,
Battery testers test under load.  Volt meters, whether analog or digital,
ideally put no load on the circuit under test.
That is why expensive volt meters have such high resistance, to put as
little load on the circuit as possible.
Cheaper volt meters (10,000 ohms/volt or less) are actually better battery
testers.   But, the best battery testers are battery testers, not volt
meters.  Try Radio Shack (most cost ~$10).

Brian P. Huber

bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx
Troy, OH

Thanks for the clarification. My tester is analog, and a cheapo.  It has a
1-10 volt scale as well as a button test setting (among other things).
Using either, I have no indication that the batteries are failing (full 1.5
volts). But it's not a great unit. Who knows?

Tomoko wrote:

>Unless your volt meter can test your batteries under load, your test
results are
>not good.

On the question of testing under load, am I wrong in assuming that an
analog tester is actually testing under some kind of load, since it is
causing the hand of the tester to move?  Did you mean anything in addition
to this?

Thanks to both of you!