Re: [OM] Am I nuts?

Subject: Re: [OM] Am I nuts?
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 13:11:53 -0700
****Warning*****
This may belong off list but I thought you all would be interested.
CL

===Just maybe, it would be better for me to keep with "ancient technology"
and
establish myself with a certain style than to keep up with the masses.  Who
knows....

Ken Norton===

Ken,

Funny you should say that.
As you may remember I have been flirting with autofocus and a new system
for some time.  Thank God I did not have the money when I had
convinced myself to sell the OMs and go Autofocus.
Here is my experience.
I recently moved to Las Vegas and got a job with a studio here.
One of the things I do a lot of is events.  Events as in school dances with
no lights in the place.  I had choices to make here.  The Canon EOS with
zoom
or the old Nikon manual focus with a 35mm fixed lens (from the studio).
I chose the Nikon taped at f11 at hyperfocal distance with 400 iso film.
This was attached to a Metz  potato masher on auto.  Every shot was in focus
and well framed.  Next occasion I took the EOS and as a back up my OM
outfit.
Before the event I took some test readings and tried to focus with the EOS.
It was impossible, even with focus assist.  So I went back to the camera bag
and grabbed the OM2 50mm f1.8 and a T-32.  The hyperfocal was not deep
enough
so I focused on each shot at f5.6 or f8.  Only 3 edits out of 3 rolls of
film!!

Now the Autofocus is good for sports as I am not that experienced with so
much action.  The Minolta I have could not find focus on running plays
and the Canon was better if prefocused and I called the play right.
I did not continue with the sports shooting by my choice for personal
reasons.
(time restraints)
So what did I learn?  Olympus is the system for me.  Fast sharp lenses,
plenty of accessories, flexibility, accurate exposures, Dependable,
Light weight, compact, and sturdy.  But you knew that.

I would like to get an OM4Ti also, but without spending all that money
I could get another reconditioned OM1 or 2 and have all the backup I need.
If I still feel I need a spot meter I could get an OM2000.
Now for a question,  What do you need a 350mm f2.8 for?

Regards,
Charlie L.