Re: video card/monitor doing justice to image was Re: [OM] scanners for

Subject: Re: video card/monitor doing justice to image was Re: [OM] scanners for dummies
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 09:11:00 -0700
At 11:38 PM 11/19/99 -0800, you wrote:
>in fact, the only reason some people see "little gain" in the finished
>product is because they're also viewing the finished product on mediocre
>monitors or with mediocre video cards (or both).  Makes a *big*
>difference.<<<
>
>A-ha. Mind rating my rig at home (which, ironically, is NOT what I use to
>see images online as there's no ISP at home yet...and don't get me started
>on the utter crap hardware at school): 17" Sony MultiScan 200ES, 16Mb
>NVidia RIVA TNT card.

Your rig sounds quite good to me.  What's your display colour depth (bits per
pixel)?  Also, what's the video bandwidth on the monitor as opposed to the
video bandwidth the card's capable of producing?

Interestingly enough, it's possible for your video card to be more capable than
your monitor.  I use a Viper V550 myself (16 MByte VRAM), and it can outperform
most monitors, so the monitor I bought was a Nokia Multigraph 445XPro, which
had a video bandwidth higher than the V550.  Mind you, the new V770 may finally
outperform the Nokia!

The "excuse" I had for getting all this nice hardware was to optimize all the
photos everyone sends me for the Olympus Gallery.  It has since become the case
that I've been called on to do other things where the capabilities are useful
and even financially advantageous.

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/