RE: [OM] Scanners & films

Subject: RE: [OM] Scanners & films
From: Dave Bulger <dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 22:58:26 -0600
Zuiks,

Minimal and inconsequential (to you!  <g>) OM content !

I've gotten most of the film for the scanner test today -- list below.

I'm going to my sis's for Thanksgiving tomorrow and am going to try burning
up this film before/after the midday meal to perhaps burn off some of the
excess calories I'm already planning to eat.

My intent is to shoot a landscape thing (don't expect art -- I'm looking
for convenience!), an outdoor portrait thing to get a flesh tone, a gray
card thing, and some other miscellaneous stuff.  I'm going to do it early
enough in the afternoon to eliminate any overly warm colors from a low sun.
 I'm going to shoot as various exposure indexes both on and around the
rated speed, then hand pick the best exposed tranny of it's group
(landscape, portrait, etc.).

Then I'm gonna scan 'em, keeping track of which ones came up decently in
the first scanning pass, as opposed to having to adjust scanner settings in
order to get something decent.  For instance -- I've noticed that EVS scans
1st time far better than Velvia.  Most Velvia needs a decently large gamma
adjustment to look decent.

I'm planning on scanning all of 'em that made it throught the culling
process at 600x400x72dpi and posting them on a web page with captions,
comments & notes.  Additionally, I'm going to figure out how to scan a
teeeensy part of each tranny & blow it up so's I can look at grain and
saturation issues.

Processing done by Friday 12/3 - including the Kodachrome.

Films:
Fuji Velvia
Fuji Provia 100F
Fuji Astia 100