RE: [OM] Is the 2-4 screen the right one for me?

Subject: RE: [OM] Is the 2-4 screen the right one for me?
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 00:38:11 +0100
Thanks everyone for all the tip about which screen to use.

Brian P. Huber wrote:

> When using the 1-13, or the 1-3, try using just 1/2 of the split image.
> Sometimes it can give a clear image of the object you are trying to focus.
> If that's all you've got, it can be rather satisfactory.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here Brian. I used these before and not
found them very suitable with my Sigma 600/8. How can one focus with only
1/2 of the split image? Isn't both halves needed so that focus can be
obtained by aligning them?

> I just recently tried a 2-4 so I'll give you my thoughts for its use with
> "super teles".

Very much appreciated thank you.

Hans van Veluwen wrote:

> All of these combinations, including the
> Sigma 600/8 that Per specifically mentioned, work fine with the 2-4; there
is no,
> or virtually no edge darkening.

Thanks Hans, that's what I wanted to know. Do you think a combination of
Sigma 600/8 + 2xA Zuiko converter + 2-4 screen would work? Probably better
than with my present 2-13 screen at least I would think. The central
focussing aids are hopelessly dark for most of the time, unless my eye is
exactly centered in the viewfinder.

> So on the 400mm the edges only darken slightly, but not to such
> an extent it will prevent you from using the screen.

A longer focal length reached with the help of a converter apparently
doesn't always necessarily mean that the screen will darken. Well, that's
hopeful!

Ulf Westerberg wrote:

> Aquiring 2-4 screens for my OM-4's was the best thing I've ever done.  IMO
> the 1-series screens are hopelessly dark on a OM-4, even darker on an
OM-2Sp
> (but quite good on a OM-1) when using long slow telephotos from f5.6 and
> down.

Yes, I remember how bright everything looked in the viewfinder after having
installed the new 2-13 screen in my OM-2SP a couple of years ago. If I only
had been foresighted enough to realize that I would mostly use my OM-2SP for
300 and 600 mm super tele photography I would have bought the 2-4 instead.
Btw, if anyone wonders what_I_use for normal photography it is an iS-3000
with 28, 300 and macro converters.

> Id' suggest you go for the 2-4 screen, though you might be persuasive in
> telling the store that such thing actually exists!

Yes, I think I'll buy the 2-4. I know this problem from experience when I
bought the 2-13. Btw Ulf, I think it was from you that I learned that the
2-# series screens could be bought for the same price as the 1-# series,
i.e. if you are persuasive enough. The problem is that the photo store in
Norrköping where I bought the 2-13 screen now hardly have any contacts any
longer with Olympus Sweden, at least this was what they told the last time I
visited them. To buy directly from Olympus Sweden you have to have a
business or a firm I think. Maybe one of the larger Sw mail order stores
like Scandinavian Photo or Cyberphoto can help me though.

Per (one of the previously thought extinct OM/iS users?) Nordenberg
Zoo keeper at Kolmården, Sweden

--
Warning! Humor!

Why didn't the elephant get rich?