Re: [OM] The Freezer Test - Mixed Results - WD-40??

Subject: Re: [OM] The Freezer Test - Mixed Results - WD-40??
From: Tmoynihan@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 22:31:53 EST
In a message dated 12/14/99 9:12:34 PM, webnik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>What's wrong with using WD-40? It's a cleaner and a lubricant. The oil
>is very
>very light as well.

Jim--  I use WD-40 all the time, but mainly for cleaning, as it is as
excellent penetrant and rust cleaner.  However, I have heard that it is not
the best for lubrication.  Hmmmm.  Walked into the other room, and grabbed
the closest can of WD-40 (a small 6 oz. one, and I'll bet I'm not alone in
having more than one around the house!).  According to the can itself, it
"Stops squeaks/Protects metal/Loosens rusted parts."  No magic word
"lubricates."  The closest they get is on the side:  "WD-40 Stops Squeaks:
Locates and stops squeaks:  Chairs, rollers, hinges, moving parts, cars,
wheels."  Still no use of the word "lubricates".

Went and got my 8 oz. can of official "3-in-1 Household Oil".  On the front
of the can it says, "Lubricates, cleans, polishes/Prevents rust & tarnish."
Lubricates is the first quality mentioned, and is also mentioned on the back
of the can.  I suspect that this is more than a semantic difference, esp.
since WD-40 is so light, that over time it often completely evaporates.

I don't think I'd use WD-40 in my camera [probably not 3-in-1 either :-)  ].
I expect Oly specifies lubricants for general use, and maybe some for cold
temps also.  I'm sure many others on this list (esp. engineering types) have
lots more experience with either or both of these products, and perhaps can
fill us in as to whether WD-40's ability to "locate" squeaks is by employing
sonar (it listens for squeaks and seeks them) or radar (it senses a
less-intense return from rusted metal)?

Opinions?

Tom Moynihan
Dallas, TX