Re: [OM] how to avoid drop shadow in close-up flash photos?

Subject: Re: [OM] how to avoid drop shadow in close-up flash photos?
From: "Tom Trottier" <tom@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 16:57:27 -0500
I prefer bouncing from walls, or from the ceiling behind and to one
side. This means a Bounce Grip or a Vivitar, etc, swivel flash.

Tom

On 3 Dec 99, at 8:17, Emil Pozar spoke about
*Re: [OM] how to avoid drop shadow i..* saying

> Acer V wrote:
> >
> > Took a bit over 3 rolls of film this past holiday, almost all on flash
> > indoors. When in landscape orientation, bounce on the T32 worked admirably
> > well for soft lighting, but for closer images where the camera was in
> > portrait format, the flash cast a horrible drop shadow to the right of
> > subject. One of the advantages of flash/lens seperation is reduced chance
> > for redeye, which I had none of, but all that distance made for some
> > pictures that were just weird from the shadow.
> >
> > Any ideas how to reduce this? It was apparent only when one person waist
> > up filled the frame (portrait orientation). If I backed off, the shadow
> > was not noticeable. Would it work to bounce the flash /down/ (that is, to
> > the right in port. form.), and have a card under it to reflect some light
> > to the left and forward? I rarely do flash photos, so can't really say
> > I have experience or knowledge of this stuff.
>

> (Time for an umbrella setup..!)
>
> Otherwise, I have found the most natural is to have a flash on the
> bracket and directly above the lens whatever the camera orientation is.
>
> For the purpose I had bought a Metz 40 flash and it's matched power
> grip. It allows me to mount the flash on either side of the camera plus
> sliding it up and down. An original Olympus bracket + T32 might be just
> as good if more difficult to find.
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Emil Pozar
> epozar@xxxxxxxxx
> http://www.mypage.at/emilpozar

And a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year to you and yours.
From:Tom Trottier, 400 Slater St. Suite 415,Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7S7
    __o    <Tom@xxxxxx> <TomTrottier@xxxxxxxxxxx>       ICQ:57647974
  _ \<     Voice: +1 613 291-1168  fax: 594-5412      No ads, please
(*)/'(*)   Vote for your favourite Olympus camera at
           http://www.freevote.com/booth/fav_camera