RE: [OM] ES-10 Update, and I'm angry!

Subject: RE: [OM] ES-10 Update, and I'm angry!
From: "Ron Spolarich" <caesar2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 16:08:54 -0500
Garth wrote:

 >A simpler solution which I use: buy a new drive (listen, 10 Gig EIDE's at
7200 RPM are practically free nowadays) and two removable hard drive bays.
Install one bay, putting your present HD into its removable component.
Install the new drive into the removable component of the second bay.  Swap
drives.  Put NT on your new drive (and whatever else you want to run on it).
Leave your "old" drive for Win95/98.

I do this with four separate removable HDs in one bay.  This gives me four
completely different systems -- two Win98 systems (with different
application bases), one NT system and one Linux system.  All only using one
physical machine, and all the same hardware (other than the HDs, of course).

Removable bays, in Edmonton, Canada anyways, cost about $25.00 CDN each.
Worth every penny -- and a lot cheaper than buying a whole new machine every
time you want a new OS (and much less hassle than dual-booting or
multi-booting off of the same disk, which as I've discovered, is highly
prone to errors or downright failure).  "Plug 'em in, plug 'em in!" <

And I thought my machine was a money pit!  Though in my configuration (twin
HDs of 20G and 6.4G) they're internal.  Your setup is a wonderful idea for
using other OSs.

RonS