[OM] FLASH WITH 20MM MACRO

Subject: [OM] FLASH WITH 20MM MACRO
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 03:00:43 -0800
Daan,

Since I don't own a T28 I was just assuming that the Macro Flash Shoe Ring has
some pivotal
adjustments for getting the heads closer to the subject.  It just seems that
the Macro Flash
Shoe Ring would mount far enough back on the 38mm and 20mm to adequately cover
the subject.
But like I said I don't own the T28 rig just the T10 Ring Flash.

I know some people think the T10 is too harsh compared to the T8, but it would
depend on the
subject matter.  Since it is very even you don't get harsh shadows.  The
problem with harsh
studio lighting is the harsh edge and contrast in shadows.  The T10 will
definitely give the
object much more dimension than the T8 since it is direct light not reflected.
Most people
don't like that well defined 3D effect in things like portraits but for some
more industrial
objects it is necessary. I've shot cut diamonds and gem stones with the
20mm/f2.0 and the
T10 Ring and you can actually see tiny characteristics of the of how the
diamond cutter
finished his edges.  Also inclusions are much better defined by direct light as
opposed to
indirect or diffused light.  Several years ago when I actually tried to make
some money
shooting evidence and scientific photography  I was told by the photographer
who was
training me (and giving me some work that did not pay well) to always use
direct lighting
with this type of photography.  Extremely reflective surfaces do look better
with the
diffused light but normally even the T8 is not diffused enough if the
reflective objects are
on a solid hard background.  When shooting reflective objects I will make a
small tent or
cone and shoot the T32's through the diffuser tent.

I wish there were more of us high magnification macro zuiks on this list. I'm
still looking
for interesting subject matter to shoot. As of now my macro stuff has retired
from a working
life to that of fun toy life.  You can never have too many macro toys to play
with, and we
all know that Olympus makes the best.

More macro posts please.

Phillip Franklin