Re: [OM] Canon EOS Digital + OM-Digital Flame

Subject: Re: [OM] Canon EOS Digital + OM-Digital Flame
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 08:57:47 -0400
<< Stepping up on my soap box >>

The existence of the D1, the Fuji S1, and now the EOS D30 just confirms my earlier assertion (several months ago).

Olympus' statement about their inability to create a digital camera that uses the OM-system lenses is Bullshit. There is no technical reason that the OM-system lenses can't be used on a new digital body. That Olympus Powerpoint presentation about the inability of standard lenses to focus the light rays with sufficient parallelism to a CCD is just so much marketing mumbo-jumbo. IMO, the real reason is that Olympus makes far too much money on their P&S, ZLR, and digital cameras to cost-justify a new pro-level digital body. We know it can be done. It probably isn't a cheap project though.

There's just no more executive fire or evangelism left in the Olympus organization for the OM-system. Otherwise they'd be like Cosina, which has introduced the Voigtlander line of products to rave reviews, using the 70yr old Leica Thread Mount as its lens configuration. The only way that project got done was that the head of Cosina wanted it as a pet project.

Oh, well, I guess I can come down off my soap box and go back to taking pictures.

Skip