Re: [OM] Ebay practices

Subject: Re: [OM] Ebay practices
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 09:21:18 -0700
"Raggedy Ann" writes:

<< What accounts for your statement that "it is fair, safe and
pleasant"... to
transact with list members as opposed to others? Do you have a
particular reason why buying from a list member is safer than a similar
transaction via another forum like eBay? It seems quite the oppose to
the uninitiated. Ebay at least offers the semblance of some security.
Thank you!! >>

Since you are one of my eBay customers, as opposed to someone who has
bought from me off the OM List, I thought I'd pipe up on this.

There is a sense of community that exists on mailing lists. We hear from
active List subscribers on a regular basis - the virtual world equal of
dropping in for coffee or meeting at the checkout stand. Like a small
town, there are reputations to protect. If someone does a shady deal, it
runs the risk of "getting around." Internet reputations can be as
precious as the one you have in your town.

On a different note, folks have a tendency to buy from salespeople who
"know their stuff." In the real world, Home Depot is solidifying their
market share by hiring sales staff who have been practioners of the
equipment and supplies their department sells. Buying from regular OM
List contributors is like buying from someone who "knows their stuff,"
as opposed to buying on eBay from "opportunistic" sellers (one of a
number of seller types on eBay).

So, that is my take on why List buying can be attractive.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV