Re: [OM] beginner lens question

Subject: Re: [OM] beginner lens question
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:16:07 EDT
Look in the B & H Photo ads- there are Zuikos listed, but perhaps not the
prices- and they are new lenses- . Zuikos have increased in price
tremendously, and yes, they are THE desired lenses for the Olympus line. Your
best chances are on the used market, not new ones. A 50 mm 1.8 for example, I
think lists for something like $230 new, (don't know exactly) but can be had
mint used for $25- $50. olympusguy.com has one listed for $25, and a new
Vivitar 70-210 zoom for $99 with a 5 year guarantee, so it won't take a lot
of $$$ to get started.
You can use any brand lens- Zuiko, Vivitar, Tamron, Tokina, Sigma, etc - as
long as the lens is in "Olympus OM mount".  95 times out of 100 the Zuiko
lenses are better than any other brand, that's a fact. I'd say go back in the
list archives here, and look at the former price discussions and any "For
Sale" ads to get an idea of prices. Try (list member's) skipwilliams.com and
you'll see an excellent database of what Olympus lenses have sold for on
eBay, you can expect to pay similar prices. Also- John H's www.zuiko.com for
sales and service of the OM line. Maybe some list members will offer you "For
Sale" an under-used lens they may have, you'll have to decide what your needs
are, and just ask, after all, this is the friendliest list you'll ever find
out there in cyberspace. Welcome and enjoy!

Best,
George S.