Re: [OM] Flash for novices

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash for novices
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 15:11:13 -0500
I'll jump, whether you want me to or not <g>.

Of course, the high dollar lenses, such as the 180/2 would be perfect, but I
tend to knock them out of the way quickly.  Some of this clearly depends on
your budget, but one fine lens to consider, pricey still at around $500, is
the 180/2.8.  Pretty fast for a telephoto, pretty small for its speed, I've
used it for several of my kids events and like it a lot. You still need to
be fairly close to the stage for any face closeups, but 'stage size' shots
are good from a distance. Pair it up with Fuji 800 or even Fuji 1600 and
you're all set.

For a lot less money, the 200/4 or the 65-200/4 are also nice choices, but
slower.

Tom

> Hi Robert,
>
> thanks for the good advice.
>
> > Tony Halmarack writes:
> >
> > << > Can anyone please advice me on a flash system the will be suitable
for
> > general purpose outdoor use please?  >>
> >
> > Tony, please understand that any flash you use for photographing
outdoors, in
> > concert halls, towards the stage in an auditorium/playhouse, etc. is not
> > going to behave as you might think.
>
> Oh well! I still often fall for thinking that these problems can be solved
by
> throwing money in the most obvious direction. I'm not as firmly convinced
as I
> used to be though, so what you say comes as only a small shock.
>
> > Flashes are designed for the most part to
> > be used in more confined places and are intended to produce a large part
of
> > the illumination for the photograph from light bounced off or reflected
from
> > walls and ceilings. This tends to intensify the effect of the light
produced.
> > This works very well in regular sized rooms, but in outdoor areas and
large
> > open spaces this bounce light is virtually nonexistent. Therefore the
light
> > from the flash will not be augmented by reflected light and will have to
be
> > strong enought to reach the subject through direct frontal lighting.
That
> > takes a strong directional focus flash. i.e. one with a rather narrow
beam.
> > Otherwise, use of the flash may be limited to frontal lighting of close
> > subjects.
>
> Well, I've already come to terms with the idea of a flash extender for my
> prospective T32.
> Even then, from what you say, It would still be a struggle to turn night
into
> day.
>
> > Those little firefly-like flashes you see in stadiums and such from
point and
> > shoot cameras are doing no more than creating little flashes of light
from
> > the cameras. Anything beyond 10-12 feet isn't going to benefit in the
> > slightest. The light emitted allows you to see that the camera flashed,
but
> > is ineffective in reaching long distances or lighting large expanses.
It's