Re: [OM] THE GRAIL! (Wuz "Vivitar 285 flash for Oly 75-150mm lens...)

Subject: Re: [OM] THE GRAIL! (Wuz "Vivitar 285 flash for Oly 75-150mm lens...)
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 20:59:08 GMT
Chris, I'm afraid I've stepped into the advice trap. Trying to describe how to inspect a lens for coatings and, especially, flaws, is best done with illustrations or, better yet, the personal touch.

Coatings can be seen by tilting the lens slightly away and checking the colors of the light fixture reflected in the glass. For example, with my 75-150/4 I see a single large magenta-tinted reflection of the light fixture I'm using and several smaller yellowish reflections. All are distinct, sharp and even.

Mottling from separation, on the other hand, would appear as oil on a puddle. Or two sheets of glass with a thin smear of oil between them. To see it you'd have to look directly through the lens, rotating it slowly and tipping it very slightly as you go. Fungus or mildew *might* cause a similar appearance, but not likely.

To get an idea of what fungus typically looks like, check this URL:

http://www.chem.helsinki.fi/~toomas/photo/fungus/

To get a better idea what good, clean glass, single- and multi-coated, should look like, check Tom Scales' site. In many of his lens photos you can see straight through them - excellent work:

http://www.zuikoholic.com/Zuiko.htm#Zuiko Prime

Hope this doesn't confuse matters further.

Lex
===