[OM] Auto Bellows

Subject: [OM] Auto Bellows
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 03:20:08 +0100
My Oly Auto Bellows arrived yesterday, less than 24 hours after close of
auction (UK seller) and it looks to be nearly new. Reading Hans' eSIF I was
pleased to see that lenses can be fitted in reverse, keeping the auto iris
operation with the double cable release, something I hadn't known.

When first playing with it, turning the big 'wing nut' closed the aperture
down, as did the DCR, but with the latter it was taking over five seconds
for the iris to re-open. I removed the lens and flipped the sluggish iris
actuating arm inside the bellows lens mount quite a few times and it
loosened up, taking only one second to re-open, but now the 'wing nut' can
only be rotated about ten degrees from the horizontal, which moves the
actuating arm about enough to stop the lens down half a stop from fully
open. It looks as though the way into the mechanism is via the brass screws
securing the nylon U-shaped block under the lens standard, but I don't know
what I'm looking to fix. Perhaps it'll be obvious...

I recall that there was a posting about fixing the bellows mechanism a year
or so ago but I don't seem to have saved it in my 'archives,' probably
because I didn't think I'd ever own one, but I did find an interesting post
there by Phillip Franklin, enthusing over the quality of pictures taken by
the 35-70 f3.5-4.5 on a bellows and I've put on hold my bidding on a 50/f3.5
macro Zuiko on the strength of it.

Regards
Keith Berry