RE: [OM] Will I ever learn?

Subject: RE: [OM] Will I ever learn?
From: Dr Peter Gilbert <peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 10:59:38 +1000
 > >They always say the worst comment to receive when they see
 your photographs
 > >is "Wow - they're good - you must have a very expensive camera!".

When i get this type of comment, I generally control the urge to slap them in the face and then calmly draw a parallel with a good chef.

Imagine eating a beautifully cooked, extravagantly delicious meal and then "complimenting" the chef by telling him he must have a really good oven.... !!!!

This is one of my pet peeves - the cameras and lenses can't get out of the closet and go and take photos by themselves. They are just tools for a creative, imaginative and maybe even artistic photographer who must still ......

get him/herself to the right place at the right time (right time of day, best lighting angle and color of light etc),

anticipate and be ready for what may be fleeting opportunities for making an image (candid street photos etc)

choose an appropriate angle and frame of view

choose what to include in the frame and what to exclude (what "adds" to the image, and what is "clutter")

select the appropriate film stock (grain? fast or slow? low light? saturated colours? B&W, print, trans etc etc )

choose a lens that suits the vision (perspective, background coverage, how close, angle of view, magnification etc)

make a technically "correct" exposure (this one may be the easiest !!!),

decide on the most appropriate combination of shutter speed/aperture to give the DOF or motion blurring/stopping desired (while still making a technically "correct" exposure)

choose the critical point of focus (or out-of-focus to separate subject from background)

employ good technique (breathing and support if hand holding, or cable release etc if using tripod)

decide whether or not the use of a filter would improve the final image (color correction, ND grad, pol, warming etc)

decide whether or not fill-flash would enhance or detract from the finished image

The list could probably go on, and on but you get the idea.

I can't think of too many cameras that can do all of these things- not even the Wunderbricks.

Not even our beloved OM's can do all this.

Great equipment won't necessarily make a poor photographer look like a great photographer.

See - I told you all I get worked up over this subject . I'll just step down off my soapbox now......

 :-)

peter