Re: [OM] Red Eyes ????????????

Subject: Re: [OM] Red Eyes ????????????
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 23:52:27 -0500
Mickey -

In my experience, the incidence of "red-eye" is varied by a number of
factors, some of which are unique and variable by situation and
subject.  In short, it's not something that can be practically or easily
calculated in ever circumstance.

You may know that "red-eye" is the result of light from a flash
reflecting off the retina of a subject's eye.  It may seem as if you've
got a simple equation - flash to retina to lens axis.  But don't forget
that the eye is an optical device itself, with it's own lens and
"aperture" system.  The angles involved must fall within certain limits
before "red-eye" may occur of course, but they will be affected by other
factors even then.

The proximity of the lens to the flash is the primary factor - the
closer the flash is to the lens, the more likely "red-eye" will occur.
Other factors (albeit sometimes minor ones) are mechanical, such as the
focal length of the lens, the aperture set on the lens (a direct result
of the ISO/ASA of the film), and so on.

The other considerations are (for lack of a better term) biological.
Some people's eyes seem to be more prone to "red-eye" - their iris may
naturally dialate more than others, for example, or perhaps they focus
the light differently.  Also, infants and (a-hem!) persons who have
subjected their bodies to alcohol, "drugs" or medications may exhibit
"red-eye" when others don't.

So if you're shooting with a different film, and lots of people are
using alcohol or other chemical substances, and you've got a new lens -
don't be surprised if Aunt Beth's photo makes her look like her eyes are
hot as coals!

That's why we all should move the flash _way_ off camera - better
cautious than regretful!

Just some observations based on my experiences....