[OM] Airport security - UK

Subject: [OM] Airport security - UK
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 07:28:23 +0200
The British Airports Authority are convinced that they have the right level of scanning power - reference a discussion via Amateur Photographer last year some time. I should be surprised if Michael could persuade a British Airport security team to hand check, unless they were not particularly busy.

Amsterdam Schipol is a place I tend to transit quite frequently; on arrival you exit the security area so you have to go through security before you can board your onward flight - double the scans for one journey.

Are our metal-bodied SLRs less likely to be affected (the film inside I mean) than a plastic-bodied P & S, does anyone know? I am clueless on X-Ray technology.

Chris

I dont think so.  Remember they also have an interest in detecting knives,
guns, 500g cans of butane, animals and not to forget the white powders.

At Heathrow, I asked for a hand inspection of my film, opened the plastic
cans and held out my hand with the the film cans with projecting film
leaders in it.  They took them from me, placed them in a little basket and
then ran them all through the X-ray machine.

Giles

Michael Virsinger wrote:

 have to insist, but I almost always get it through. Those days are almost
 at an end now anyway as new security equipment is now being introduced
 that can detect explosives without x-rays which should relieve some of
 the problem.

<|_:-)_|>

Chris Barker
imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx