Re: [OM] Filter Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Filter Question
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 21:55:27 -0700
On 19 Dec 2000, at 23:24, Winsor Crosby wrote:

> >I've never been able to afford "high quality" filters.  The el-cheapo ones
> >DO degrade the image slightly....
>
> I would think that a visible difference looking through the
> viewfinder would be due as much to the fact that the filter is not
> perfectly perpendicular to the axis of the lens when handheld. The
> test shots make the point though.

I held the filter up against the lens, but didn't screw it in.  As far as I
know, it was as perpendicular to the axis as it would have been had I
actually mounted it.  But, as you said, the test shots made the point.

I'm NOT saying that the difference was significant...  just, to my eyes,
noticeable.  I had read in one of those "How-to" articles that going
filterless would lead to sharper results, and since I'd never heard that
before thought I'd check it out.

Can't remember you mentioned it, but there's a significant price
difference here (Edmonton, Alberta Canada) between cheap and
"quality" filters.  Cheap ones run CDN$10-$15 while "quality" ones go for
more than CDN$30.  That's a fair chunk of change according to my
budget.  Yes, I *know* I'm taking certain risks by not using a filter, but
it's been years since I've dropped a lens (or body with lens attached), so
I think the risk is minimal.  (Of course, now that I've said that, I'll drop
something tomorrow and regret having said it!)

> I wonder sometimes whether filter quality should be the obsession it
> is sometimes.

IMHO, I think it's a matter of personal preference.  For years, I kept a
UV filter on every lens "just in case."  Now, I'm living life on the edge
and practicing "unsafe" photography.  I feel that the non-presence of a
filter has slightly improved the sharpness of my images.  Not that my
"safe era" shots were all that unsharp.

> I think most filters sold now are pretty high quality if not damaged in
> some way(excepting those little square French plastic ones).

Of course, you must be referring to Cokin filters?  I have 'bout a half
dozen of their specialty "P" series.  For what they do, they're pretty
good.  What, specifically do you feel is "wrong" with them?

Regards,

Chris