Re: [OM] Olympus lens values?

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus lens values?
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 01:55:11 +0100
John,

I´m also not too happy with the OM/Zuiko-Price situation. (in respect to the
German market)
I started with the OM System in 1993 and bought most of my equipment till 1995.
Before the price increase of 1994  the price/value-ratio of the OM-system was
one of the best. But the new prices almost doubled since then. This influenced
also the used prices. Especially the deales-prices based on 'used-price-lists'.

But IMHO, is the marked not willing to pay such a lot of monney, which
led`s to an decrease of offers, when I compare the OM-content of several
show window`s, which I`ve watched over the time.

Two situations as explanation: In my area there is one really large
photo-market.
The offer was a Zuiko 3.5/16 Fisheye. One offered in 1994, the second in 2000.
 In 1994 the new price was about 1200.-, the dealer wanted about 650.-. I came
too late 1 hour after opening. There was another men bargaining, but then payed
the price,
Because there were Three other people interested.

This year, I saw the same lens on a display just before the end of the marked.
I asked the
dealer for the price. He sad it is priced 1250.-, but offered me imediatly
1000.-, well
So what are this high prices for?- It was`nt hart to resist, altough Now it is
2200.- new.
This is how things can change.

But compare closely. The MF-Nikkor lenses are today also more expensife than
the AF-version!
So compare Zuiko-prices to MF-Nikon prices. I know, it`s not much comfort.
But goot MF-Equipemt is expensive, since the AF took the mass marked.

I have a price comparison from a CoFo-test of 28mm lenses from 1997:

AF-Nikkor 2.8/28 = 570.-
MF-Nikkor 2.8/28 = 1250.-
Zuiko 2.0/28    =1210.- (o.k price now rised twice to 1500.- /1800.-, don`t now
about Nikon)

Regarding to 2/35-lenses CoFo compared both Nikkor lenses AF +MF and
the Olympus 2/35 (all new). In the result, all of them reach the same
performance. The Nikkor might be a tad sharper wide open, but the Oly, was
contrastier stopped down....nothing to worry about. All fo them are very fine
lenses.

About ebay, Well I think there are two general types of ebay auchtions
 (regarding of comon OM-stuff):
  1.) Starting price = used catalog-price  ==> No bid`s
  2.) Starting price = DM 1.-  ==> reaches about ½ of catalog price depending
on conditions

Just my 2 cent..... or how was it ....

Frieder Faig