Re: [OM] Olympus lens values?

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus lens values?
From: jldasch@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 31 Dec 2000 14:15:27 -0800
>>>>> "C.H." == C H Ling <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

    C.H.> Here I can't agree with you, check www.photodo.com you will
    C.H.> know you have spent too much money on a Zuiko 90/2, Nikon
    C.H.> 100/2.8 macro, Leica 100/2.8 macro.... Just get a Tokina
    C.H.> 90/2.5 at a much better price and you get the same or better
    C.H.> MTF. Bokeh cannot be measured effectively, color and
    C.H.> contrast also, check photodo again you will found most
    C.H.> lenses has similar MTF at 10 lp/mm which represent contrast
    C.H.> of a lens.  Pop photo say they have never seen any lens that
    C.H.> is too contrasty, but me and lots of my friend found some
    C.H.> Nikon are too contrasty. Many of my friend don't buy the
    C.H.> color of Canon - too soft. They also said some Nikon lenses
    C.H.> are not real in color even look saturated. Some people on
    C.H.> the list say one lens gives more 3D look image than the
    C.H.> other. Just to name a few... no only my opinion, but it is
    C.H.> sure subjective.

There is no point in arguing rationally with someone who choses
irrationality as their basis for interpreting the world.  Contrast can
certainly be measured, it is a measure of optical scattering (noise).
This contrast is very different from the contrast provided by film and
paper.

I would venture that given top lenses from the top manufacturers that
in a scientifically based double blind study very few of the more
nebulous characteristics you mention ("color of Canon", "3D look")
could be discerned. (statistically valid differentiation vs. random
guessing)  This would be true even if the test subjects were chosen
from those who espouse the "3D look" or other ill-defined
characteristics.

Classical optics is an old and well understood area of physics.  It is
precisely this that allows the manufacturers to design their optics.
With modern computer codes it is possible to accurately simulate all
characteristics of a lens, including the imaging of out of focus
areas, which you feel ("bokeh") can not be measured.

-John