Re: [OM] Brigher Viewfinders

Subject: Re: [OM] Brigher Viewfinders
From: "Mark A. Thalman" <mthalman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 10:53:23 -0600
Tom Scales wrote:

> I'm confused.  I thought one stop was the square root of 2 brighter (about
> 1.4) and TWO stops was twice as bright.
>
> Am I missing something?

You just have it backwards.

One Stop is twice as bright.  To double the area of a circle you multiply
the diameter by the square root of two.  The increase in brightness is a
power of two.  A two f-stop increase is 4 times the light (2*2).  A three
f-stop increase is 8 (2*2*2) times the light, etc...  To achieve a one
f-stop difference with a starting aperture of 1.0 the diameter needs to be
multiplied by 1.4 (the square root of two).  To achieve the f-stop you
divide the diameter of the diaphragm by the focal length.

Clear as mud now?

--
Mark Thalman, markt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
f u cn rd ths thn u cn gt gd jb prgrmmng cmptrs