Re: [OM] Buy OM your life may depend on it

Subject: Re: [OM] Buy OM your life may depend on it
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 10:19:00 -0700
On 12 Jan 2001, at 8:02, lgriffin@xxxxxxxx wrote:

>     Unfortunate woman, but food for thought if your going to be
> photographing wildlife up close.

Photographing *any* wildlife up close can be dangerous.  After all, that's
why they're called "wild" life!  :-)  That story makes me yearn for the
350/2.8 (or, better yet, the 1000/11) all that much more!  :-)

Btw, that message reminded me of many years ago (1989) when I lived
in Churchill, Manitoba, known as the polar bear capital of the world.

One day, right smack in the middle of the polar bear migration season
(late Fall), a bunch of visiting medical students, one of whom had a bum
leg and was on crutches, went south of town to take photos of the polar
bears.  They managed to find a large momma bear sleeping amidst
some rocks (the bears like that...  more heat!).  Thinking that a sleeping
bear wasn't all that photogenic, one of them actually started throwing
rocks at the bear to try and get its attention!

Their driver, who worked for me and reported the incident when they got
back, actually had to go over and deck the idiot to get him to stop!  I
was so pissed off, I put the whole lot of them on the first plane south!

Regards,

Chris

---
Chris O'Neill (coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx)