Re: Photographing wildlife (Was:: [OM] Buy OM your life may depend on i

Subject: Re: Photographing wildlife (Was:: [OM] Buy OM your life may depend on it)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 19:01:41 +0000
At 22:30 1/12/01, Chris wrote:

LOL!!!  Not hardly!  Fully-grown male polar bears can reach 7' tall
(standing on their hind legs), and have claws that can be 2" long (or
longer)!  I don't know what they clock-out at, but I've seen them go from
lying down to full-trot-boogie at the blink of an eye.

Not something that ANYONE wants to mess with!

Sounds slightly smaller than a North American Grizzly, but just as nasty. I've seen a Grizzly run and it's anything but slow.

I don't know 'bout the American variety, but the Canuckian buffalo don't
look *anything* like cattle.  Uhhh....  well, I suppose that both *do* have
four legs and a long tail!  :-)

They don't look that much like cattle to me either, especially the front end. The resemblance is apparently enough to lure some onto the other side of the fence if their "elevator doesn't quite reach the penthouse" (i.e. some of their cylinders are misfiring).

I was out on the tundra about 200 yards off the the road, and he got to about 15 yards behind me (and closing fast) before I finally hit the road and was able to gun the 4-wheeler. Had he had 'nuther few yards of rough tundra to chase me, he *might* have caught me. VERY scary!

Rule (3) is never go alone and always be certain you can outrun at least one other person in the group. (OK, I know; that's bad, very bad).

-- John