Re: [OM] Yellow Pics

Subject: Re: [OM] Yellow Pics
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 08:30:46 +0000
At 07:35 1/13/01, you wrote:
Any ideas as to why the yellow tone?
Incandescent lighting?

The second question answers the first one. The film you used is balanced for "daylight." The flash is also balanced to provide "daylight." Incandescent light is not the same as daylight. It has much less blue and much more yellow and red. Our brains to a marvelous job of automagically providing color correction filtering and balancing what we see. Film doesn't.

Compare this one done available light inside a church:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/donnaruss/dr26.html

with this one done using flash inside the same church a couple minutes later:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/donnaruss/dr27.html

There was a fair amount of daylight coming through the windows, and I did color balance the scans. It's much more noticeable in the prints. However, you can still see a slight yellowish cast in the first one making it appear "warmer" than the second (look at the organ pipes). It's the incandescent floods in the church ceiling. Be glad the room wasn't illuminated with fluorescent lighting! The yellowish warmth isn't so bad compared to the ugly greenish hue that results from using daylight film available light and uncorrected under fluorescent lamps.

You can try an 80A color correction filter for "tungsten" light to "daylight" film. These filters are for tungsten studio floodlights, not ordinary household lamps which are even "warmer." The filter is a deep blue with a 4X correction factor (4X = two stops; ISO 200 effectively becomes ISO 50). You can also use tungsten balanced film . . . if you know you are going to shoot the entire roll available light under incandescent lighting.

-- John