Re: [OM] (Fwd) OT: LASIK: to see or not to see?

Subject: Re: [OM] (Fwd) OT: LASIK: to see or not to see?
From: DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 20:35:21 EST
the real question is: are you in need of bifocals? If so, Lasik won't
help..it only corrects the distance. If you are of the age of hardening of
the lens (typically 38 and up), you'll still need to wear reading glasses to
see the viewfinder or read or view your watch, bite nails, etc. and probably
still need a bit of correction for the distance. So don't do it thinking
you'll never wear glasses again.
Susan Steele
Virginia USA
PS I can't agree with your group analogies. In our practice we have seen that
the high myopics are the group least likely to recklessly endanger their
eyes. I think the fact that they have so little vision left, experience the
lack of vision they endure when trying to do simple functions like going to
the bathroom without their glasses, and the fact that becasue of this they
know the value of vision, makes them more aware of the value of their eyes
and less likely to frivolously lose their eyesight. Your #1 group would never
need to consider the operation.