Re: [OM] White Painted Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] White Painted Lenses
From: Pandionhalietius@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 03:51:33 EST
<< Is there any particular reason why some lenses such as the 180mm or the
 > 35-80 F 2.8 are painted white? Does this mean that all white painted ones
 > are special models and expensive?
 >  > Regards
 > Titoy >>

The common answer given is that the big ED elements, especially Canon
flourite elements, are sensitive to heat and need the white paint to keep the
temperatures from rising and expanding parts causing focus shifts (not a
problem here in western Washington State).
Funny that all mirror lenses aren't white-seems the most logical.
I know the animals run or fly away alot faster since I have gone with a big
white lens.
Canon and their white "gooooooooooood" lense and their competitor Nikon's
"baaaaaaaaaaaad" lenses seems to be the real answer-marketing.  Like an old
cowboy movie.
Very hard to miss the Canon EF 600mm f4's at any sporting events.
On a side note.  I had one of the original Tamron 300mm f2.8 lenses that came
in white.  The previous owner had repainted it a matte black and was great.
No more scuffs and no glare.
John R