RE: [OM] 50f/1.4 breakpoint

Subject: RE: [OM] 50f/1.4 breakpoint
From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 13:10:03 -0500
More of my 2 cents:

1. I don't think you can say it is generally agreed that  something happened
between s/n 1,000,000 and 1,100,000. That is  Gary Reese's opinion, and  it
may be correct, but I haven't seen or don't remember seeing the body of
evidence that makes this convincing, just suggestive. I don't remember even
Gary saying that this is the case with  certainty.

2. I rather doubt that dropping 'MC' from the front ring corresponds exactly
with a multi-coating formulation change in the 50/1.4 - if indeed there was
one after s/n 1,000,000. Since subtle changes in multi-coating weren't
'advertised' or even made known in any fashion, it seems unlikely they would
dump a stock of numbered rings and make new ones without 'MC' just to match
a multi-coating change.

I don't doubt the possibility, or even the probability of a coating change
after s/n 1,000,000 - just want  to point out that good evidence of it may
not have been presented yet.

At one time I had two 28/2.0 Zuikos in my hand at the same time. They were
both labeled the same on the filter ring (MC), and both had multi-coating.
What was really interesting was that the only green reflection on the
slightly earlier one came from an element near the rear of the lens, and on
the other the only green came from an element near the front of the lens.
They were unmistakeably different in terms of their coating sequence, though
I could never see a difference in their image quality.

Chip Stratton
cstrat@xxxxxxxxx