Re: [OM] Which is sharper, autofocus or manual focus?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which is sharper, autofocus or manual focus?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 21:33:46 +0000
At 00:00 1/1/02, Joe Gwinn wrote:

Absolutely. I quite agree. Between the choice of a consumer snapshot film (versus pro film) and the choice of a 35mm camera (versus medium-format), this wedding photographer was no bargin.

[plus quite a number of other things inbetween other quotes; after trying to quote them I threw in the towel and snipped them out]

Usage of medium format is debatable, but not doing so can be "opportunity lost." The big ticket for many wedding photographers is reprints including wedding books for the bride's and groom's parents and up to several large ones for the wall. By using medium format for at least a selected set of the photographs (notably the posed ones) it allows opportunity to sell very large prints of them. Processing 120/220 and having 4x5 (from a 645) or 5x5 (from a 6x6) proofs printed isn't much more expensive than processing and proof printing 35mm film. [I'm presuming a pro lab is being used for all this.]

With all the remarks about mirror and a couple about the lens, I would bet the film was developed and prints made by the least expensive consumer lab available (where she bought the film??). It would be consistent with the film selection. That alone could account for color balancing issues, some of the saturation, and loss of sharpness in the the prints. Print paper selection also affects outcome! There are different brands/types in varying grades of contrast, with some variation in saturation too. Consumer color print paper is not intended for portraiture, it's intended for the general photography consumers shoot and what the manufacturers of it think consumer expectations are for their general photography.

Also not mentioned yet. There's much, much more to photographing weddings than using a good film for it and having the proper bodies and lenses. Next on the technical list is lighting; understanding it and being able to use it well. This means having specialized equipment (and knowing how to use it) that few non-pros have. It can help create photographs equally few non-pros can create. Then there's knowing how to do formal portraiture "on location," how to do editorial style photography at the reception (two completely different types of photography), and most important knowing how to work with people, many of whom have never been met before.

-- John