Re: [OM] Backdrops?

Subject: Re: [OM] Backdrops?
From: John Hudson <jahudson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 13:52:00 -0800
Thomas Heide Clausen wrote:

> To Charles, Clinton and others who kindly replied....
>
> I appreciate all the great suggestions - I'll sure try (most
> of) them out (maye not the satin one right away *gg*). Let me be a bit
> more specific: Assume, for a second, a black backdrop behind a bonsai
> (tree...). While in a studio, I noticed that there were some backdrop
> fabrics which remained "black black" even when iluminated rather
> strongly. Very preliminary experiments with velvet reveal that this is not
> exactly easy to achieve ;( I can, by careful control of the light, get
> something that is "mostly very black", but it strikes me to be very
> difficult to achieve - much more so than what I remember. It could be
> because of too short a distance between the lamps, the tree and the
> background. But it could also be due to a bad choise of
> velvet/fabric. Anything to share to that end?

The inclusion of even a small percentage of man made fibre will cause a
fabric to give off direct reflections and glare as you change your
lighting position, or at least that has been my experience. If one wants
only diffuse reflection stay with 100otton ....... avoid the
inclusion of even a small amount of polyester at all costs!!

jh