Re: [OM] [OT] Where I live - was [OM] How to photograph starry night sky

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Where I live - was [OM] How to photograph starry night skys?
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 00:57:37 -0500
On Tuesday, January 22, 2002 at 18:04, Barry B. Bean
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "Re: [OM] [OT] Where I live - was [O" saying:
> If i'm in the darkroom long enough, I can read from my timer, and can see
> shapes from the light of my radio/CD player power LED.

You' better turn your back on those to load any film to or from a roll.
My eyes are as sensitive as that too, and probably most eyes are after 20
minutes or so.

> >>There are lots of folks who can testify to the
> >> ability of the human eye to adapt to low light conditions.
>
> >Yes, there are lots who can testify that they saw Elvis last year also.
>
> He's easy to spot without a light. Those rhinestones still sparkle.
>
> That said, I can assure you that normal functioning in the woods, on
> cloudy moonless nights is still entirely possible.

Not in the real boonies. Only if there's town lights within 40 miles, or
cities within 150, reflecting off the clouds - which is 980f the US, of
course...

Is your sky really dark? See
        http://www.lightpollution.it/worldatlas/pages/fig1.htm
There's precious few black areas in the US or Europe. Compare it to the
rest of the world.

Of course, your ground may be flatter or your trees sparser or your ground
whiter or your shins hardier, or you may not want to wait 20 minutes. YMMV.

Tom