Re: [OM] Adventures in Macrophotography (asking for recommendations)

Subject: Re: [OM] Adventures in Macrophotography (asking for recommendations)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 23:36:13 -0500
At 23:57 4/7/02, Tim Chakravorty wrote:
Were you using a flash when you were taking hand held macro shots ? If not, you will be amazed at what a flash can do to picture sharpness when doing handheld macro. Just make sure you are using an aperture small enough so there is no secondary exposure from ambient light. If your objective is to use natural light only, then its different of course. In that case wind is another problem and you will have no choice but to use a flash.
-Tim

The use of on-camera flash for "nature" macros is obvious in the photograph. It creates a harsh, very direct frontal lighting "look" to them. I've been working on methods for very diffused off-camera lighting without much success outdoors. Still experimenting with it, but have not found a method yet that has a natural look to it; use of flash remains a method of absolute last resort.

To mitigate wind, I've used sticks, twigs, branches, and moved parts of nearby plants or trees to immobilize the subject plant. As a last resort with one that is swaying predictably, I've set up the framing at the apex of its motion and then timed shutter release when it's at the apex. This works to about 1/15th second if the camera is on tripod, but often requires 3-4 exposures to ensure one of them has the exact timing.

-- John