Re: [OM] Rangefinders vs. SLR's

Subject: Re: [OM] Rangefinders vs. SLR's
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 21:14:41 -0400
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx
RF's and Leaf shuttered cameras definitely have less vibration. How many stops slower you can hand hold them is open to individual opinion. Somewhere between 1 and 2 stops would be a safe rule-of-thumb.

The XPan is a nice machine. I wouldn't call it gimmicky. But it has a very specialized use and a very unique look. I wouldn't buy it as a 35mm rangefinder with panorama format capability, but just the opposite. It's quite expensive for what you get, IMO. The comparison with the Mamiya 7 is interesting, but that's quite a larger beast and moving up to MF has lots of issues with film handling, etc. At least the XPan is still 35mm.

RF's are nice. The cheapest way to get a very good, modern one these days is the Bessa R2, which takes Leica M lenses. $550 for the body. Lot's cheaper than a new Leica.

As nice and smooth as Focal Plane Shuttered RF's are, they're no match for a leaf-shuttered camera. Go look at a Konica Hexar if you want a quiet, no-vibration camera. Or a Rollieflex. Now there's smooth!

Skip