RE: [OM] How to Capture subtle colors

Subject: RE: [OM] How to Capture subtle colors
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 22:12:55 -0500
At 18:37 9/6/02, Wayne Harridge wrote:
I think most people are "barking up the wrong tree" with this problem.
I think you should use one of the contrasty & saturated films like
Velvia, E100VS, with FLAT lighting these films will actually emphasise
the subtle colour difference you see but haven't been able to record.

...Wayne

I don't know . . . I got in a hurry about the film and forgot to remark about the lighting. I disagree about the high saturation films as the modest to restrained variety have done better with smooth, subtle gradation. Something like E100VS, of which I used only a few rolls before abandoning it, seemed to completely saturate at the hint of a primary color with zero gradation (a red barn comes to mind). The result was very bold; so much it lacked natural color and looked surreal.

We may be thinking on approximately the same lines about lighting. I wouldn't describe it as "flat" though, just low contrast. To me, flat means coming from many directions at approximately the same level so that it's nearly impossible to determine a key or main light direction.

I recommend low contrast with a enough fill so the separation between highlight and shadow is perhaps 4-5 stops maximum; probably 4 stops with a chrome. However, I wouldn't want to lose dimensionality from shape and texture in the process by bringing the fill up much more than that. This presumes incident metering, not reflective, and letting the dark and light colors fall appropriately in between max highlight and max shadow of pure bright white and deepest black.

-- John