[OM] 36 bit colour in Photoshop?, was How to Capture subtle colors

Subject: [OM] 36 bit colour in Photoshop?, was How to Capture subtle colors
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 06:19:15 +0100
Cc: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
My scanners, an Epson 2450 and a Canoscan FS4000, can capture 36 or
48 bit colour, but when it comes to Photoshop Elements the
application has to convert it to 24 bit.  Is it the same for
Photoshop (the full version), or is it merely because I have a
cheaper version?

I am, of course, very happy with Elements.  I am on v2 now for OSX
compatibility and I find it just right for my level of comprehension
of levels, colours, contrast, brightness, unsharp mask and..... the
blasted colour space system.  This, luckily is pretty good with Macs
and Epson printers, but it is a whole world of complication of you
are not careful.

Chris

At 15:51 -0600 17/09/02, Daniel J. Mitchell wrote:
 > 2. Most film scanners scan at at least 16 bit depth, for 64k levels of
 brightness input data for each color. That range is usually then
 downsampled to 8 bit, 256 level for output, although if your graphics
 software can handle it, the higher level of detail is available. In any
 case, the hardware and driver software don't lose any highlight or
 shadow detail unless you ask them to. I've tried 16 bit, as both my
 scanner and video system can do it, but haven't seen a real
 difference.

 Yeah, 16bpp -vs- 8bpp would add enough resolution to make all this stuff
pretty academic and low-contrast films win out. I'm basing the original idea
on having done scans of low-contrast prints, and wishing there was more
range in the image, because when I do expand it to get the contrast I want,
it just ends up looking pretty iffy because the lack of different levels in
the original means that mid-tone gradients end up being all stripy-looking.

 -- dan

--
<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker