Re: [OM] Request for help/ideas/advice re: Grand Canyon, Four Corners

Subject: Re: [OM] Request for help/ideas/advice re: Grand Canyon, Four Corners
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 16:21:41 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:

If you are physically ambitious try the hike to the Havasupai reservation at the west end of the canyon. You may even be able to rent horses. It is some kind of desert Shangri La with waterfalls. You will need to contact the tribe before leaving for reservations.

Havasu Canyon is one of the most unique places I have been and highly photogenic. When I was there 30-35 years ago, you could arrange with the tribe to have your packs carried in and out or ride horses. We were young and in good shape, so we hiked in to the upper falls area. Hiking out from the lower falls area, we were going to hike up to the last water and camp overnight before hiking out in the morning. It was pretty in the afternoon light and we felt pretty good, so we went on to the top. Something of a mistake, although we made it; that is a serious climb carrying a pack! Spring or fall is really the time to go there. The 60 mile road from near Peach Springs to the trail head has considerable elevation gain and loss, going from desert through pine forest and back down, so it could easily be closed by snow at any given time in the winter. This was before the OM-1 existed, so the pics were taken with a Nik*n Ftn.

Be prepared for any kind of weather. There is frequently snow on the rim or at Flagstaff and a 100 degrees in the bottom of the canyon. Or it could be hot.

Serious weather can come through there by November. Pay attention and be prepared. And have a great time!

Moose