Re: RE: [OM] Film scanners and printers

Subject: Re: RE: [OM] Film scanners and printers
From: Svein Skjøtskift <svein@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 21:38:46 +0100
Hello,
Firewire and USB 2.0:
Just cut this from techtv.com:

Theoretical speeds and our observations: Don't be confused by the rated speeds
you see
emblazoned across USB 2.0 and FireWire product boxes. Despite USB 2.0's 80 Kbps
speed
advantage over FireWire, our testing showed that the additional overhead of USB
2.0 made it
slower than FireWire. For high-bandwidth devices such as external hard drives,
the difference
was as high as 70 percent. On a positive note, we noticed that the CPU usage of
each interface
was similar on our Pentium 4 1.3-GHz test system. During a 1.54GB data transfer
from our
system's internal hard drive to an external drive, USB 2.0 averaged 40 percent
CPU usage
compared to 37 percent for FireWire.

Scanners: A recent test in a local PC-magazine stated that Epson 2400 is far
inferior to her older
sister 2450 in color depth, despite it's similar specifications. For
filmscanning in that pricerange,
why not consider the new Minolta scan dual III:
http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/tests/testdetail.cfm?test_id=167
Better results than any flatbed I can think of.

Svein