Re: [OM] wide lens

Subject: Re: [OM] wide lens
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 19:15:42 -0800
> Conditions in the mountains there are very different from what I face here
> in eastern Canada. Here I live maybe about 100 to 200 feet above sea level,
> and the sun is seldom directly overhead, except maybe in the middle of the
> day in the summer. There it seems like the sun is always directly overhead.
> UV and flare have been a real problem for me in Bolivia in the past....

Wayne, I used slow film, Kodachrome64 generally and K25 on snow, and was
careful to shade the camera with a hat or a friends body. A super wide
will be a problem even with a shade because light reflects off of any
light surface and so no matter which way you are pointing there is
something bright shining back at you. This is exacerbated by the fact
that the sun is rarely much over 90 deg away any time of day. I tried a
UV filter with little effect. Probably hurt since nothing you put in
front of the lens is better than the lens itself for dealing with
flare.  A skylight filter may help deal with the blueness of the light
plus the blowing dirt and grit up on the altiplano. A polarizer will
turn the sky black at that altitude, most effect near the horizon when
the sun is directly overhead. Black sky, white clouds and sparkling
clear air, this can be dramatic but the color gradient with a 21 or 18
will be a problem. Early morning and late evening is a good time for
photos. Another problem is extreme contrast. When one side of a person's
face is correctly exposed the other side will be black. A fill flash is
a great help.

Here's an example of general high contrast and color gradient of
polarizer on only a 28/3.5. Also note the blue of this uncorrected
slide. (Actually this looks more blue now that I set up that profile on
this monitor) taken at 5500m elevation
http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/LatinAmerica/CordilleraBlanca/arte_pira2.jpg

This one shows the warmer colors at sunset but still no red sky like at
sea level. 3100m elev.
http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/LatinAmerica/CordilleraBlanca/huaraz.jpg

I'll have to dig up some examples of high altitude people pictures with
and without fill flash.

mike