Re: [OM] Fishy digital Theory?

Subject: Re: [OM] Fishy digital Theory?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 22:43:22 -0800

On Thursday, January 30, 2003, at 06:09  PM, Moose wrote:

You are confounding 2 things here, theory and empirical testing. Luminous Landscape presents empirical tests that are quite compelling. He doesn't say "Assuming that........", but "Here is the methodology and here are the results."

Once Gallileo conducted his test of gravity on falling bodies, no amount of logical argument which disagreed with the results, no matter how much it's proponents wished to believe it, was of any use or meaning. Einstein's Theories of Relativity are some of the most powerful and elegant theories about the nature and behavior of matter and energy ever created. Nevertheless, physicists are constantly looking for empicical ways to test them. I just read about another experiment a few weeks ago. So far, the theories hold up, but one repeatable failure and into the dustbin of science they go.

Theory cannot stand in the face of experience to the contrary. Bumblebees fly around my yard all the time without the aid of aeronautical engineers. Unless you can find a flaw or fakery in the Luminous Landscape tests, theory avails nothing. The way it works is that empirical tests prove theory to be fishy (or not), not the other way around.

Moose

We think alike in some ways. I proposed the bumble bee on another list with a similiar discussion. It is amazing how pleased most people are with their 4 and 5 megapixel cameras and if you do the math it is impossible. I think it may have something to do with the fact that the scan of a piece of film is a second generation image adding the flaws of film to the flaws of scanning. A first generation slide or digicam image is just better, or at least the eye thinks so.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA