Re: [OM] About the new toys, Book II

Subject: Re: [OM] About the new toys, Book II
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 06:30:12 -0800 (PST)
>I find it very interesting to read that you have actually
>bought the ZoneMasterII and StopClock Professional!  I have
>been seriously contemplating ordering the Analyser Pro, a
>somewhat cheaper, simpler version, from RH Designs in Britain.

It was a toss-up for me whether or not to get the Analyser Pro
and save a little money, but decided that since I'll most likely
never buy another timer to go ahead and get the full-blown
outfit and take it out of the "lens budget".  I have not
regretted that decision in the least.  The StopClock
Professional is SO MUCH more capable than the timer section in
the LE (and Analyser Pro) that I'm very satisfied with the extra
couple hundred it cost me.

Both versions have the most useful features, like making test
strips and F-stop adjustment (with automatic adjustment for
reciprocity failure).

The Professional has a very nifty feature for drydown
correction. Turn this feature on and it will automatically
adjust the exposure to give your wet proof-print a slight
darkening (user adjustable) to match what a dry print will look
like.  I do a bunch of split-grade printing, so the StopClock
Professional was definitely the better purchase.

>Have you calibrated them for a paper of your own yet?

Fortunately, it comes pre-calibrated for Ilford Multigrade IV
which is what I use.  However, the variations come in with the
contrast adjustment and getting the grade recommendation on the
meter to coincide with what is being dialed in on a color-head
enlarger.  I'm still fighting that battle, but I've got it
within a 1/2 grade or so.

Anytime I've second guessed the meter, I've been wrong. However,
it is very important to watch your high/low measurement spots
because the sensor just isn't quite small enough so I'm learning
to keep my extreme dots about one step in from the ends.

>From this mail I gather that you recommend them so far? ;-)

Recommend them?  Well, let me put it this way--I'll NEVER go
back into the darkroom without them again.  There is no going
back to the old way.  I'll completely switch over to digital
before giving up on these units.

>Of course, news about any problems are also welcome... before
>I take the plunge myself.

None.  The cord on the foot switch is barely long enough, but
that's a seriously minor complaint.

AG