Re: [OM] failure to transport

Subject: Re: [OM] failure to transport
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 10:55:16 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Bill Pearce wrote:

> I was engaging the bottom of the trimmed end of the tip and placing the very
> end in the slot. I would then close the back, and shoot, sometimes on film,
> sometimes on part film and part pressure plate. I thought I was being
> clever, in doing this I gained an extra shot per roll (remember, my father
> was an engineer. These sorts of trivial cost saving measures are typical of
> engineers.)
>
> I doubt I gained as many extra frames I lost to disengaged film tips. Once I
> determined the cause of the problem, I always wind enough film on the spool
> so that both sprockets are engaged, and the problem is solved. Hasn't
> happened since!

A slight variation of the above two methods which sometimes gets you that
extra frame is a follows.  Before closing the back, wind the film so that
the leader has made one complete revolution around the take up spool, but
stop before both sprockets are engaged.  Some film manufacturers have a long
enough leader that you can squeeze out an extra frame.
                                -mark