Re: [OM] medical treatment of fungus or surgery only?

Subject: Re: [OM] medical treatment of fungus or surgery only?
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 08:52:18 -0300
on 26/05/2003 00:37, Gary L. Edwards at garyetx@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Do I understand you correctly that you left the UV filter on while
> irradiating the lens?  If so, it is conterproductive as you are trying to
> kill the fungus with UV light.
>

> Gary Edwards
>
> www.peopleplacesflight.com
Yes you did understand correctly. When questioning this issue myself I
assumed that the amount of UV radiation from a dichroic lamp wouldn't be
much different than any incandescent bulb and therefore very low. If it were
high, I would have found an undesirable steep rise in the temperature of the
lens metal structure. I also considered using an infrared lamp but thought I
would melt the lens.
Maybe I was wrong and UV radiation from this 50W lamp is considerable but
anyway I never trusted too much in the filter I was using, it is a very
cheap thing.
Mainly I was trying to change the fungus environment, drying the surface
with a small amount of thermal energy; and visible light which could be
enough for certain fungus specimens - but here I don't know which one I'm
dealing with.

Please let me know your point of view.

Regards,

Fernando