Re: [OM] Camera -- to abuse or not ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Camera -- to abuse or not ?
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 06:11:24 +0100
Good illustration of the point Gary. I had to think carefully whether I would have done the same... I think so ;-)

Chris

On Wednesday, Jun 4, 2003, at 03:58 Europe/London, Gary L. Edwards wrote:

Last May (2002) I sent one of my OM-4Ts and a 21/3.5 off with a colleague on a elderly US Army Huey. When he got to the 100 m long coral island some 30 miles away on the atoll perimeter, he placed the camera where I'd told him to: on a tripod duct-taped to some large coral boulders out in the surf on
the ocean (windward) side.  He aimed it as I had figured it a few days
earlier when I was allowed on the island, with our missile launch station framed in the lower left corner of the viewfinder and lots of open Pacific surf and sky in the rest of the view. He then retreated under a trailer and waited with the remote cord while some other guys on another island a couple of hundred miles away launched a tactical ballistic missile more or less at
his island.  When our missile launched to intercept the incoming one he
started squeezing the remote button. We got a stunning series of shots, including the intercept flash, which has been widely used by the company and
the Army.

When you need to get the shot, you risk the camera. Of all of the hazards:
several rain squalls, tropical humidity/salt spray, breaking waves,
intercept debris raining down, etc, the one that really concerned me was that trip in the Huey. Ted survived an autorotation after compressor stalls a few days earlier in a sister ship. The camera made it back and after a careful wipe down is still serving me faithfully. I don't know about the
Huey.

Gary Edwards

<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker