Re: [OM] Coatings list

Subject: Re: [OM] Coatings list
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 23:20:35 -0700
Ok, I'm going to get around to adding my babies to the list.

I do question the value of the reflection color stuff. I had both SC and MC examples of the 21/3.5 and 24/2.8 lenses. I peered deeply into them side by side. The colors of the reflections were remarkably similar within each pair. The marked difference between SC and MC was not color, but brightness. The MC reflections were much less bright than the SC reflections. I speculated at some length on the reasons why this would be so in a prior post, if anybody is interested.

I don't see how this reflection stuff can be much use, since side by side comparisons mostly won't be possible. Yes, green and magenta reflections exist in some SC lenses (or perhaps I was hallucinating?). I guess noting the ser# at which the old all yellowish reflections changed to more sophisticated SC might be useful, but I wonder how accurate. The current list has some lenses that are clearly miscategorized as to the larger issue of SC or MC, whether through user error or front rings switched when serviced.

Moose

Pschings@xxxxxxx wrote:

Lee's request for information about manuals and documentation made me think
that it's overdue for a call for lens coating data.