Re: [OM] ( OM ) colour prints

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) colour prints
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 11:38:43 -0300
----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2003 7:13 AM
Subject: [OM] ( OM ) colour prints

> In addition to the Kodak LED II prints (I wasn't all that impressed with
these
> but maybe that was more to do with the prints they showed me when I asked
> to see examples)(including on metallic paper, +20ost); they just have
> installed an Epson Pro 9600 inkjet printer that will print at up to 2800
dpi.
> Repeat, 2800 dpi.  And the printed image can be about (don't quote me on
> this) 5 - 6 feet; nearly one metre, on at least the long dimension. If I
provided
> my own adjusted scan it would cost me about $33NZ (say USD15) for a print
> 2x3 feet. (60 x 90 cm) and not the $NZ 50 - 70 they would charge for the
> whole job.

I've had a couple of prints done using the Kodak LED process (not sure
specifically which machine) and thought the results looked okay from a
normal viewing distance but that you don't get as nice a colour at close
examination as other processes. My lab has since gotten a Fuji Frontier
machine and I find the output from it is much nicer (well once I stopped
over sharpening my files).

I haven't had a chance to get any inkjet prints done but it seems like it's
definitely the way to go for really big output. The only question I have for
you is when you say "don't quote me on this" do you mean the max dimensions
or your conversion? I know that there's been some concern that the SI
standard kilogram was losing mass but I wasn't aware that the SI standard
meter was growing. 5-6 feet is nearly 1 meter? :-)

Andrew "frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.tildefrugal.net/