Re: [OM] E-1 vs. the world & Zuikoholics

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 vs. the world & Zuikoholics
From: Donald MacDonald <d1956m198d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 21:35:29 -0000
Hi there,

just got back to this after an irate session with the bank on the 'phone (I'll send you an email shortly, Tom S).

I didn't mean to suggest that the list should be OM only (though I do remember those far-off days, quite fondly).

Nor am I completely head-in-the-sand about digital. We actually have a little toy digi, that my father-in-law bought us on bid-up, or price-drop, or somewhere like that. It doesn't have a screen, but it is a giggle to play with.

No, the E-1 looks a fine camera, and if I was just getting into photography and didn't enjoy just going to the filing cabinet, pulling out a sheet of slides and holding them up to the light, I'd overlook my concerns about storage and immediacy and seriously consider it. With all the caveats about the format's longevity taken into account of course.

So it's not the Oly off-topic (or even the SUVs), and it's not the digital stuff necessarily either. I like to look at the images, some of you guys are pretty good!

But moaning about Olympus has gone far enough, surely? I endorse what others have said about the company and their relationship with non-buyers of new gear. Personally I abandoned Olympus the company at the same time as they dropped the OM line. I have no grouch with them at all. They're a business. My stuff is great, it still works and with the help of our dedicated techs and others they will do for many years to come.

Just yesterday I was standing in the rain at 7:45am with an OM, taking pictures. I came home with a big grin on my face, happy as a sandboy. Whatever you use, that's what it's all about.

And whether they produce the adapter, or somebody else does, or nobody does, probably won't matter to me. I got the OM1n to get away from stop-down metering. It was a pain in the arse. I certainly wouldn't use it with a C*n*n or anything else, or if I did, I'd be telling the C*n*n people about it, not the Oly list.

Nice little discussion, though. Hanging in for the next episode...

Donald Neil MacDonald BA DipLIS
www.skelpitheid.com