[OM] Digital and the Olympus E System

Subject: [OM] Digital and the Olympus E System
From: Ross Orr <voxbongo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:47:04 -0500
Some of you have been batting around the whole "digital versus film" question here, so forgive me for throwing out a few thoughts on the topic. . .

I don't have any ideological reason for preferring film to digital. Quite the opposite. I got so backloggged with unprinted negatives that it was a major reason I drifted away from using my OM gear in the 90s. And I think photoshop is fun! Also many people had told me stories of digital re-awakening the pleasure of photography for them.

So a year ago, I stuck a toe in the water with a Canon S200 Elph. It's a cute camera--actually smaller than my XA, which impressed me! The quality is fine for snapshots/web/email. But I became quite frustrated with the "feel" of shooting with it, particularly the SHUTTER LAG. This led me to dust off my old OM gear, and fall in love with it all over again. . . which is how I ended up here.

I'm sure many of the rest of you also hoped that Olympus would revive the OM lensmount when introducing their first digital SLR. However when I started hearing about the 4/3 format, I was willing to give Oly the benefit of the doubt--after all, starting with a blank sheet of paper had achieved great things for them in the past.

But whatever the theoretical justifications,
http://www.four-thirds.org/en/index_01.htm
I feel like the E-1 and the E system have not really lived up to the hype. Image-wise it doesn't sound like the real-world quality is there yet,
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse1/
And so far the E lens system hasn't delivered the advantages the PR claimed: Where are the ultra wide angles? Where are the f/1.4-class lenses?

Worst, contrary to the PR claims, the E-1 throws overboard the most beloved feature of the OM series, its *compactness*. The E-1 is BIG--though peeking inside the mirror box at the size of the vital organs, I find it mystifying why. The grip is too large for my hand (I have smaller hands), and the whole body seems unnecessarily deep. And I just don't understand why the viewfinder magnification is so much smaller than life size.

Meanwhile, the OM-2N feels like a familiar friend. So in the near term I'm staying with the tool that feels right to me. I'm thinking perhaps Kodak's PictureCD processing will give me enough digital convenience to handle the inevitable "emailing copies to friends."

Any experience here with how well C-41 process B &W comes out with that?

Of course if I want to shoot both color and B & W, maybe I'd better better pick up another body. . . (uh oh). . .

best,

  --Ross