[OM] Re: Woe is Me - and Why Go Digital?

Subject: [OM] Re: Woe is Me - and Why Go Digital?
From: "jamesfc@xxxxxxx" <jamesfc@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:44:54 -0500
I would like additional input, but here's my take on digital White-balance:

If you shoot RAW, you don't really have to worry too much about WB.  Since
Photoshop CS now reads and converts RAW images from most of the major
manufacturers, you can perform white balance back in the comfort of your
home, if you don't mind spending the time doing it.  The camera apparently
processes the RAW image after the fact anyway if it is going to save it as
a TIFF or JPG, so even though the RAW image is larger than JPG, by saving
in the RAW format you have more control over it.

I basically set mine to auto WB and worry about it later.  I like this
because it gives me the final control over the color balance of the image
without compromising the quality of the image.

In studio work, I'll set the white balance with a white card, but many
times I'll still do minor adjusting of the RAW file in the Photoshop RAW
image reader.

Jim Caldwell