[OM] OT A2, was OM-E-System Adapter status in the U.S.

Subject: [OM] OT A2, was OM-E-System Adapter status in the U.S.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 23:06:21 -0700
richard-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>We went to Keeble and Shucat today and picked up, ah, an A2 (with Ken as
>one of its users of the A1, it has to be good :-) ).

As in purchased, or as in toyed with?  This instead of a DSLR for your
wife? I'd love a user report.

I'm quite interested in the A2. The finer EVF, quicker autofocus,
shorter shutter lag and USB 2 are all very attractive. What I'm afraid
of is the noise level. Part of that question is the actual iso
sensitivity. With the A1, the actual sensitivity is greater than
indicated, so the iso setting of 100 acts like about 170. That means
less noise at any given brightness through chosing a slower iso than on
most other DCs and makes up for some of the A1's noise. I suspect the
A2, with the Sony sensor, doesn't have this 'feature' and the noise in
the samples I've seen is true to the stated iso. The only reviews I know
of that test this are on dpreview and he hasn't tested an A2. If it were
just 5 vs. 8mp, I'd have an A1, but the other improvements seem
significant.

I haven't had an opportunity to try them out; nobody near me seems to
carry them. The review on luminous landscape makes the A2 look pretty
good, but all the post processing sounds tedious.

Moose