[OM] Re: Thoughts on IS - and a Confession.

Subject: [OM] Re: Thoughts on IS - and a Confession.
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 11:28:59 -0700

> Well done -- the 18-55 is optically so-so, and build quality is
> *awful*.
> OTOH, the 300D body feels much better, although no 'Pro' specs here.

Specs can be upgraded. There is a bandit firmware upgrade that pretty
much restores most of functions to 10D level. Do a search on the 300D
forum at dpreview.com. As for the 18-55 lens, it is a $100 zoom lens.
It is designed for someone moving up from a digicam and which it
improves upon. It is pretty good for the price. If you want high
quality you need to spend more money.

>> - One of the drawbacks of the 300D and some of the prosumer cameras is
>> that they only have USB 1.1. Downloading raw images is painfully slow.

I don't think most camera makers care much. They don't expect that
anyone is going to take their camera out of commission for a download
even with a fast bus. They are going to change memory chips in the
field and when they get back at the motel or home, download time is not
critical, is it?

> That Can*n software is awful, I prefer a card reader -- USB 1.1 too,
> my OS
> won't support USB 2.0 :-(  I don't shoot in raw mode, though.

Canon has new software in the last couple of months and people seem to
be enthusiastic about it.